RELEASING IMPOUNDED VEHICLES
Vehicles towed from accident scenes are normally not considered “impounded.” Typically those vehicles are ready for release directly from the tow lot.
Steps to follow if your vehicle was impounded.
1. Call the police clerk at 502-899-2537 to see if the vehicle is ready to be released to the owner and what information/paperwork is needed. This office is open Mon-Fri 8AM to 4PM. See below for after-hours release.
2. Bring all necessary paperwork to our station at 3940 Grandview Ave. St. Matthews, KY 40207, along with your personal identification. Unless otherwise told, the registered owner MUST be the one to come to the station for vehicle release.
3. A release form will be given to the owner to take to the tow lot. The tow lot will then be able to process the car from their lot. Contact the tow lot directly for any costs/fees incurred.
The St. Matthews Police Department will make every attempt to release eligible vehicles 24 hours a day. This does not guarantee that the tow lot will be able to release the vehicle outside of normal business hours.
Steps to follow to release your vehicle after the hours listed above.
1. Call the dispatch number at 502-893-9000. Tell the dispatcher that you would like to have your impounded vehicle released by an officer. The dispatcher will take your name and number and have an officer call you back.
2. The officer will call you back and if the vehicle is eligible for release, will notify you of what paperwork you will need to bring with you to the station. You will still need to come to our station to receive a release form.
Towing Companies used by the St. Matthews Police Department:
4611 Pinewood Rd
10006 Industrial Blvd
12203 Westport Rd